Saturday, February 1, 2014

Old School Vegas Themed Sweet 16 Birthday Cake

When I was asked to make a Vegas themed Dance Club cake I really struggled with ideas.  Then I thought, maybe I could do something cool with the architecture of this.  I used want to go into architecture design, so this was a fun way to use that once forgotten passion.  Then I just had to add sparkles and a limo, and there you go!

 'Chelly's Club 16!'  Fun name, right?!
 I had to use toothpicks for some structural pieces and the tiny runway rope stands, but other than that and the lights, this cake was totally edible. 
 Couldn't forget the road and sidewalks. 
 The limo was a shaped rice krispie treat covered in modeling chocolate.  And the spotlights were colorful tea light candles wrapped with modeling chocolate.
 I used silver luster dust to accent those bricks and the front entrance.

 And here are the fun lights that give the cake that true Vegas feel.  How cool that Brandi caught the reflections of the lights!!!!  She continues to amaze me with her skills!!
 I LOVED how the colors changed.  It was like a little surprise each time Brandi took a picture.  What color would be showing this time?!

 Isn't that rainbow of color inside the cake so fun?!  I went so many directions with this cake, and it was continually changing AS I was making it.  It's always fun to do new ideas and try new things! That top tier was just a plain white frosted cake, and then I had to wrap a large can with the purple gum paste several days before so it was nice and hard.  Once I had the cake assembled and I had added the tea lights I just carefully slipped the purple 'wall' over the top tier.  The effect was SOOOO fun!
 This picture was darker than the others kind of by accident, but I absolutely loved its!  It shows the colors of the lights so well and it really has such a Vegas Lights feel to it!  Just what the customer ordered.

Although this cake took a LOT of thought and rethought, it was well worth it in the end.  The lights were so fun and the colors were perfect.  The birthday girl loved it, and she looked beautiful as she celebrated her special 16th birthday!  Happy Birthday, Chelly!  You're fabulous, darling!

2 comments: